JOURNEY TO THE VERY SOUL AND SOIL OF JHARKHAND
Haren Thakur spent his life and nurtured his creative ventures partaking in the core life style of the tribes of Jharkhand.
He trained at Shantiniketan, under the tutelage of eminent stalwart artists like Ramkinkar Baij, Vinod Bihari, Somnath Hore, Dinkar Kaushik, Selim Munshi, Sarbari Roy Choudhury and many others.
His work encompasses tribal art forms and carries the essence and emotion of nature, life and faith. His work depicts harmony, simplicity and peace through color form & use of camouflaged icons of tribal and contemporary blend. He gets inspiration from the core of creation, complimented by the serene natural surroundings of Jharkhand. Thakur has discovered the essential structural patterns of tribal art and fused its geometric sophistication with visual concepts culled from Egyptian wall paintings of the Thutmosis IV era, when eastern Mediterranean art genres of decorative painting began to free themselves from a subsidiary and narrative role. Like many painters all over the world, Thakur has sought to rediscover the essence of the primitive creativity of the eighteenth century dynasty style of Nile Valley paintings. His unique work comes across mostly through mix-medium on Nepalese rice paper.
Awards & accolades
• Visha bharati merit scholarship, 1974- 75
• calcutta information centre - 1987 - 88
• shilpi samman of ranchi - 1992
• sukumar das award, academy of fine art’s 1997 (kolkata).
• recognition of state personality bihar in pratiyogita darpan - 1999
• visited canada, [ew york by invitation of prabasi bengaliclub, toronto - 1990
• aifacs award - 2004 • shanskar bharad award - 2004
• camlin art foundation award - 2005
• jharkhand ratna award - 2006
• chinta moni kar award-bangiya sangit parishad. Kolkata.
• sanman by angar; coal india limited.
• Eastern zonal cultural centre.
• nandan shantineketan(kolkata).
• founder - chotanagpur art research and development, society. Jharkhand.
• jury-camlin art foundation.
• fortner visiting faculty b.i.t. mesra ranchl.
• senior faculty j.v.m shyamali ranchi
• British council. Ranchi-1986
• b.k. college of art. Bhubaneswar -1987
• l t.g. art gallery, delhi -1995
• birla academy, titled "young faces of indian contemporary art- 1996
• krishna art gallery, new delhi. -2002
• eastern regional art exhibition.
• lalit kala kendra, orissa.
• cima art gallery, kolkata.
• gallery k-2,kolkata.
• gallery yapanchitra, kolkata.
• birla academy of arts & culture (kolkata) - 1975 -86
• Indian museum hall. Kolkata.
• kolkata information centre.
• academy of fine arts (kolkata).
• nandan (santiniketan) - 2003 - 07,
• chemold art gallery, kolkata
• india habitat centre, (new delhi)-2007.
• bajaj art gallery, bombay.
• india art gallery pune.
• santiniketan - nandan art gallery.
• triveni art gallery, new delhi.
• artist circle kolkata.
• gallery space hyderabad.
• all india fine art and craft society new delhi.
• Aifacs new delhi.
• rastriya lalit kala - orissa. Patna.
• lalit kala academy, kerala. Lalit kala academy shilong.
• sanskar bharati new delhi).
• kolkata millennium tara centre (jamshedpur).
• palash _ ranchi art culture dept. - jharkhand.
• lalit kala academy- new delhi at shillong.
• art & industry tara emami chisel art gallery. Kolkata.
• In different private gallery in india & abroad.
My precious news
(BY RITA DUTTA)
'Vision distills Intricate image', It's probably because Haren and Sharmila Thakur live in Ranchi, a region of rich tribal culture, that they have been able to resist the objective perception of logical adults and region the splendid simplification of primitive vision.More>>>
(VISUAL ARTS) BY SAMIR DASGUPTA
Ranchi, a confluence of rich culture, has enabled Haren and Sharmila Thakur not only to imbibe the spontaneity and simplicity of the tribal art of the area, but also to translate it in terms of minimalistic linear designs.More>>>
TALKING WITH LINES
'Vision distills Intricate image', It's probably because Haren and Sharmila Thakur live in Ranchi, a region of rich tribal culture, that they have been able to resist the objective perception of logical adults and region the splendid simplifi¬cation of primitive vision.More>>>
THE DAILY (BOMBAY)
(BY R T SHAHANI)
THIS week, at The Bajaj Art Gallery, we have one more husband and wife team of Haren and Sharmila Thakur, two Ranchi-based artists, one giving us 11 of his choice paintings with collage for better effect and the other regaling us with the same number of her works in water colours.More>>>
Critique & editorial reviews
Haren Thakur does not restrict himself exclusively to oil, occasionally incorporating such material as paper covered with wash.More>>>
THE HINDUSTAN STANDAR
Haren Thakur is a very much sensitive Artist. His expression though alien in technique are appealing with their melancholy note,More>>>
Artist Haren Thakur attracts attention by the picturesque quality of his work although his work has a realistic overlay.More>>>
THE ECONOMIC TIMES
CALCUTTA (RITA DUTTA)
Haren Thakur makes use of the texture of the handmade paper base which complements pale colour block, quaint child art....More>>>
THE HINDUSTAN TIMES
AUG. 12. 1995, (SUNEET CHOPRA)
The Best work of Haren's are the primitive looking drawing with a thought process that is far from primitive,More>>>
(BOMBAY) R. T. SHAHANI
Ranchi based Artist Haren Thakur gave us a good show of painting and collage for better effect.More>>>
FREE PRESS JOURNAL BOMBAY
Harens Paintings have been done in the collage style. In his paintings he uses a combination of rice paper (Nepali paper) and paint,More>>>
Haren Thakur's mother goat is a competent study of the animal form, placed as it is against an imaginative setting of abstractly....More>>>
THE PIONEER (SANTO DUTTA)
Haren has been experimenting in different media and materials to suit his changing vision and language of plastic arts.More>>>
TIMES OF INDIA
Haren's collages are constructed with the help of Nepali Rice paper with a hint of wash and ink in a highly controlled and economical...More>>>
Need help or just want to say hello?
17. NORTH OFFICE PARA,
DORANDA, RANCHI- 834002
Call : +91 933 442 9331
Email : HAREN.THAKUR@GMAIL.COM